Know some hungry paleontologists? Let them dig into these artifacts. Food-safe plastic insects for making the imprints are available at createforless.com.
Photography: SIMON WATSON
Martha Stewart Living, October 2010
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pulse walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl, and whisk in flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Gradually beat in walnut mixture.
- Divide dough into eighteen 1 1/2-inch balls, and press into irregular stone shapes using the palm of your hand; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Dust food-safe plastic insects with flour to coat; press into dough to make fossil impressions. Freeze until dough is very firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown and firm in center, 25 to 28 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack, and let cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.