Drizzle Lemon Glaze over the top of the cake for a sweet touch.
Martha Stewart Living, June 1996
Yield Makes one 9-by-5-inch loaf
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 2 cups sifted cake flour, (not self-rising)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter a 9-by-5-inch baking pan; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugar until mixture is creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Gently fold in flour mixture cup by cup, blending after each addition; pour into pan. Bake until cake springs back when touched, about 1 1/2 hours. Let cake cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.