Spicy Carrot Soup
We stirred harissa, a hot chile sauce commonly used in North Africa, into this carrot-and-leek soup for a hint of heat.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2010
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick, rinsed well
- 1 bunch carrots (about 6), peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- Garnish: 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek until just soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in carrots and harissa. Season with salt. Cook until carrots are just soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Puree half the soup in a blender until smooth. (For safety, remove cap from hole in lid, and cover with a dish towel to prevent spattering.) Stir puree into remaining soup in pan. Divide soup among 4 bowls, and garnish with parsley.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.