A chilled ceviche of bay scallops, lime, avocado, cilantro, and hearts of palm is served in scallop shells atop a bed of rock salt. If the scallops are too large they may be cut in half before marinating. Similarly, if you need to substitute sea scallops you may cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
For the Ceviche
- 3 limes, plus 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pound bay scallops (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
For the Garnish
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
For the Seasoning
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice the ends off the limes, and stand on end. Use a paring knife to remove the peel and pith, following the curve of the fruit. Remove sections from membranes, and collect sections and juices in a small bowl. Cut sections into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place scallops, olive oil, lime juice, hearts of palm, and lime pieces in a bowl, and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add avocado and cilantro to ceviche, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Fill scallop shells with 1 heaping tablespoon ceviche, and serve on a tray lined with coarse salt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.