Sauteed shallots and a creamy sauce turn steamed spinach into a satisfying filling for popover breakfast sandwiches.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- 5 pounds fresh spinach (or 2 1/2 pounds baby spinach), trimmed and washed, with some water clinging to leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Working in batches, steam spinach, covered, in a large pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain. Let cool. Squeeze out and reserve liquid. Chop spinach. (You should have 4 1/2 cups.)
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add flour, and cook, whisking, until raw flour smell is cooked off, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 2 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir in spinach. If mixture is too thick, thin with reserved spinach liquid. Stir in nutmeg. Continue to cook until warmed through. Serve immediately.
On "Martha Bakes,"
Martha halved this creamed spinach recipe to make breakfast sandwiches using Giant Cheese Popovers
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.