Popovers reheat well. You can make these early in the day and warm in a 350-degree oven.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
Yield Makes 12
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt
- 6 large eggs
- Unsalted butter, softened, for pans
- 1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together milk, flour, and 1 teaspoon salt. Whisk in eggs (mixture will be lumpy).
- Heat two 6-cup popover pans (fantes.com) in oven for 5 minutes. Generously brush cups with butter. Fill each cup a little more than halfway with batter. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out popovers. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.