Cucumber and Mint Salad with Toasted Pitas
Martha Stewart Living, March 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup torn fresh mint
- 1 small seedless cucumber, halved or quartered lengthwise, and cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 pitas
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Cook green beans in a pot of
boiling salted water until bright green and just tender, about
4 minutes. Drain; transfer to ice-water bath, and drain again.
Cut into thirds. Toss with mint, cucumber, and lettuce.
- Pour 1/4 cup oil into lemon juice in a slow, steady stream,
whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast pitas over the flame of a gas burner, turning with
tongs, until crisp and blackened in spots. (Alternatively, char
in broiler, turning.) Rub with garlic, and brush with remaining
1/4 cup oil. Season with salt. Tear into large pieces. Drizzle
dressing over salad; toss to coat. Serve with pitas.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.