Steamed Artichokes with Tarragon Butter
Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- 4 medium or large artichokes, rinsed
- Coarse salt
- 1 fresh tarragon sprig, plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- Using kitchen shears, trim sharp tips of artichoke leaves. Remove any small leaves from bottoms of artichokes; trim stems. Using a serrated knife, cut off top quarter of each artichoke.
- Fill a 10-inch steamer with enough water to come about 2 inches up sides. (Alternatively, use a pot with a steamer insert.) Add a pinch of salt and the tarragon sprig. Bring to a boil. Place artichokes upright in steamer. Cover, and reduce heat; simmer until bottoms of artichokes are very tender when pierced to the center with the tip of a paring knife, 35 to 50 minutes. (Add more hot water if needed to maintain level.)
- Before serving, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat; stir in chopped tarragon, and season with salt. Serve artichokes with lemon wedges and warm tarragon butter for dipping.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.