Grilled Mixed Peppers and Onions
Skewering the onion slices through all the layers ensures ease of grilling and keeps pieces of onion from falling through the grill.
Photography: Anna Williams
Martha Stewart Living, June Summer 2001
- 1 white onion, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into quarters and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters and seeded
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into quarters and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into quarters and seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Soak wooden skewers 20 to 30 minutes. Heat a grill to medium. Skewer the white and red onion slices, passing the skewer through each layer; skewer the green, red, orange, and yellow peppers. Place the skewered vegetables, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl, and turn the vegetables until they are coated.
- Place vegetables on grill, and cook until lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer vegetables to a cutting board. Cut peppers into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and remove skewers from onions. Transfer vegetables to a serving platter.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.