Gooey Layered Everything Bars
Oats, chocolate, nuts, dried fruit, coconut -- did we forget anything? If you like, swap dried tart cherries or cranberries for the raisins.
Everyday Food, April 2011
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour plus cooling
- Yield Makes 18
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (7 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving overhang on short sides; lightly coat paper with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse together butter, confectioners' sugar, flour, and salt until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add oats and pulse until just combined. Press dough evenly into bottom of dish and bake until lightly browned and firm, about 20 minutes.
- Scatter chocolate chips, walnuts, and raisins on top of crust. Drizzle with condensed milk and top with coconut. Bake until coconut is golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in dish on a wire rack before cutting into 18 squares.
Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.