Brisket and Potato Stew
Our slow-cooker beef brisket is the star of this warming one-pot stew. The braised meat lends a dose of that long-simmered flavor in less time.
Everyday Food, April 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 white onion, diced medium
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fingerling or other small potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups cubed <u>Slow-Cooker Brisket and Onions</u>
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until onion is translucent, 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat. Stirring constantly, slowly add broth and 2 cups water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil over high; reduce to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots and potatoes are tender, 15 minutes. Add brisket and peas and cook until heated through, 3 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.