Customize Basic Risotto with your favorite add-ins. If you like, add 6 ounces cooked, chopped bacon or ham in step 3.
Everyday Food, April 2011
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, diced small
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (1/4 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; reduce heat and keep warm. In a 10-inch heavy- bottomed skillet or pot, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high. Add shallot, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice is translucent at edges, 1 minute.
- Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 2 minutes. With a ladle, add about 1 cup broth to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed, 4 minutes. Repeat, gradually adding broth by the cupful and stirring constantly, until rice is tender but still al dente and sauce is creamy (you may not need all of broth), 20 to 25 minutes. Add carrot juice and stir until absorbed, 4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.