Sausage and Swiss Chard Strata
A strata is great for breakfast or brunch because it can be made ahead. Instead of bulk sausage, you can use Italian sausage links and remove the meat from the casing.
Everyday Food, April 2011
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 pound bulk sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (1 pound), stems diced medium, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces and rinsed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 day-old baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 7 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a small bowl, leaving behind as much fat as possible. Add shallots and chard stems to skillet and cook over medium until shallots are translucent, 3 minutes. Add a little water to pan and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with spoon. Add chard leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread half the sausage in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and top with half the chard mixture. Top with bread, overlapping slices slightly. Top with remaining sausage and chard mixture. In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs, season with salt and pepper, and pour evenly over top. Firmly press on strata to submerge bread in egg mixture. Cover dish tightly with foil and let sit 10 minutes (or refrigerate up to overnight).
- Bake strata 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake until cheese melts and egg mixture is mostly absorbed and set in center, 6 to 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.