Pantry ingredients come together in crunchy homemade granola. Making your own granola means you can pick the mix-ins. Change up the nuts, fruits, and flavorings as you wish. The oat base and easy method stay the same.
Everyday Food, April 2011
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Makes 5 cups
- 3 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup unsalted, shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced medium
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats and pistachios. In a small saucepan, combine butter, honey, cardamom, and salt over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter melts, about 2 minutes. (Or, place ingredients in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until butter melts, 1 to 2 minutes; stir until combined.) Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and toss until oats and nuts are completely coated. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and spread in an even layer. Bake until oats are lightly golden, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack, 20 minutes, then stir in apricots.
Sprinkle granola on ice cream, add it to fruit salad, or fill a jar and give as a gift.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.