Seasonal sweet cherries bedeck this clafouti, a surprisingly simple-to-make French dessert of fruit nestled in custardy batter.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Unsalted butter, for dish
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche, plus more for serving
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for dish
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cherries, halved and pitted
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch baking dish, 1 1/4 inches deep. Coat with granulated sugar; tap out excess. Whisk eggs, yolk, and flour in a medium bowl; whisk in creme fraiche, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Arrange cherries in prepared dish. Strain batter over cherries. Bake until browned around edges and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve warm with creme fraiche.
Clafouti is best warm, so bake it just before you serve dinner.
Scoop it into bowls, with a spoonful of creme fraiche.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.