The secret to memorable sauce is good-quality
tomatoes and lots of fresh garlic.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2011
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
Yield Makes 6 cups
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) peeled whole tomatoes, pureed in a food processor
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium
heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft
and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add
tomatoes, red-pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon
salt, and some pepper. Simmer, covered,
until thick, 25 minutes. Stir in herbs.
Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.