Perhaps nothing so perfectly captures the sweet, salty essence of the sea as an oyster on the half shell. The Hog Island Oyster Company in Marshall, California, harvests some of the most delicious oysters in the United States. Michael Watchorn, shares one of his favorite recipes.
- Hot rock salt, for serving platter
- 12 Hog Island oysters
- 1/4 cup <u>Zinfandel Barbecue Sauce</u>
- 1/4 cup <u>Pinot Gris Compound Butter</u>
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat a gas grill to high. Place rock salt in a saucepan, and place on grill until heated through.
- Place oysters curved side down on grill. Cook until beginning to open, about 6 minutes. Using tongs, remove from grill and remove top shell.
- Divide the barbecue sauce between 6 of the oysters. Divide the compound butter between remaining 6 oysters. Return to grill until heated through, and butter is melted.
- Spread rock salt onto a serving platter. Arrange oysters on salt. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.