Israeli Couscous with Mint and Lemon
Israeli couscous has round grains about the size of small peas. If you use smaller-grained couscous, shorten the cooking time.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2000
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 1/2 cups <u>Homemade Chicken Stock</u>, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add shallot; cook until translucent but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add couscous; stir to coat with oil. Add stock, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until couscous is soft and all liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove couscous from heat; stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.