Golden Popcorn Squares
For a quicker version of these, use air-popped popcorn.
Christmas Cookbook 2003
Yield Makes about 3 dozen
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for pans
- 3/4 cup popping corn (enough to make 12 cups popped)
- 1 1/2 recipes <u>Caramel for Cookies</u>
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush two 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pans with oil, line with parchment, and oil parchment. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add popping corn. Cover, and let cook until corn starts to pop. When the popping noises become infrequent, remove stockpot from heat.
- Transfer popped corn to a large mixing bowl. Using a microwave or double boiler, heat caramel until liquid. Add caramel and peanuts to popcorn; stir with a wooden spoon until all popcorn is coated. Transfer mixture to one of the prepared pans, and, using the back of the spoon, pack mixture as tightly as possible.
- Bake until caramel darkens, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Using hot pads, place other prepared pan on top, parchment side down. Invert popcorn into second pan, and transfer to a wire rack to cool. When completely cool and hard, cut into about thirty-six 1 1/2-by-2-inch pieces.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.