Basic Pasta Dough
This recipe for basic pasta dough is courtesy of chef Mario Batali.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Mound 3 1/2 cups flour in center of a large work surface, and make a well in the middle. Crack eggs into the well and add olive oil.
- Using a fork, beat eggs; slowly incorporate flour, beginning with inner rim of well. When flour is incorporated, gather dough together to form a rounded mass. Begin kneading dough with the palms of your hands. Once dough comes together, scrape up any dried bits of dough; discard.
- Lightly flour work surface; knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature before using. Roll or shape as desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.