Steamed Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Aioli
Steaming the garlic with the artichokes mellows its flavor in this easy hors d'oeuvre.
This recipe is included in Butterflied, Rolled, and Roasted Leg of Lamb
Photography: Andrew Purcell
Martha Stewart Living, April 2011
- 8 trimmed and stemmed large globe artichokes
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Pack artichokes upright in a large pot. Add garlic. Pour in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool. Peel and mash 4 steamed garlic cloves (reserve remainder for lamb). Stir in mayonnaise, zest, lemon juice, pepper, sugar and salt. Remove artichoke leaves (reserve hearts for stuffing). Refrigerate leaves and aioli separately until ready to serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.