Emeril's Mashed Potatoes
These potatoes taste great alongside Garlic Lover's Pot Roast for a classic all-American meal the whole family will love. Both recipes are courtesy of chef Emeril Lagasse.
The Martha Stewart Show, October 2010
- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat; immediately reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with the tines of a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Place over low heat and add butter. Using a potato masher, mash butter into potatoes. Add cream, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Continue to mash potatoes until smooth and well combined. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.