Baked Tofu Sticks
For very young babies, it's best not to season the tofu with salt before baking.
Martha Stewart Kids, Fall
- 1/2 package (7 ounces) firm tofu
- Olive oil, or vegetable oil, for baking sheet
- Salt (optional)
- Tomato sauce, for dipping
- Cut tofu into 3-by-1/2-inch sticks. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Top tofu with another double layer of paper towels or kitchen towel. Place another baking sheet or a baking dish on top, and press down firmly. Weigh down with heavy cans; let stand until tofu has released excess liquid, at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour. Pressed tofu sticks can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly brush a baking sheet with oil; set aside. Pat tofu dry. Lightly season tofu, if desired. Arrange tofu sticks in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 1/2 inch apart. Bake tofu, turning halfway through, until both sides are crisp and light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature with tomato sauce.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.