- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown at edges, 3 minutes. Add mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until beginning to pop, 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
To store, refrigerate, up to 3 weeks.