Thai Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- One 3-inch piece lemongrass, thinly sliced
- One 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 scallions, trimmed and julienned
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small fresh red Thai chile pepper, seed and ribs removed, and sliced crosswise
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus lime wedges for garnish
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add the lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, scallions, curry powder, cumin, chiles, chicken, mushrooms, and fish sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in carrots, cilantro, and bean sprouts. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Remove lime leaves, and discard. Season with salt and lime juice. Ladle soup into shallow soup bowls. Garnish with cilantro, mint, and lime wedges; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.