The recipe for these elegant hors d'oeuvres is from "Entertaining."
Martha Bakes, February 2011
- 1 pound Puff Pastry (http://www.marthastewart.com/336350/puff-pastry), about 1/3 recipe
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gruyere cheese
- 4 tablespoons toasted poppy seeds (optional)
- Prepare the Puff Pastry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If using, mix paprika with cheese. Sprinkle mixture on a work surface. Roll puff pastry to a rectangle approximately 10 inches by 13 inches, pressing dough into cheese to adhere. If desired, sprinkle top of dough with poppy seeds. Press gently with rolling pin to adhere.
- Trim sides with a pastry roller. (You will have a rectangle that is roughly 9 by 12 inches.)
- Cut the puff pastry into 3/4-inch strips, and twist from one end to the other. Arrange strips, 1 1/2 inches apart, on a Silpat-lined baking sheet. Chill twists on baking sheets until very firm, about 45 minutes.
- Bake the cheese straws in middle of oven until golden brown and puffed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer cheese straws to a rack to cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.