Serve this traditional Southern-style cornbread with Niman Ranch farmer Paul Willis's Beer-Braised Bratwurst with Cabbage.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2011
- 1 3/4 cups medium-ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add in buttermilk and egg, and stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add cornmeal mixture, spreading evenly if necessary, and transfer skillet to oven. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. When cornbread is baked through, transfer to broiler; broil until top is golden brown. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.