Chickpea and Eggplant Salad
This recipe has been adapted from "Flavors of the Mediterranean" by Olivier Baussan and Jean-Marie Meulien.
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas
- Sea salt
- 2 eggplants, trimmed, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1 teaspoon walnut vinegar
- 8 black olives, pitted
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 sprigs fresh coriander, snipped with scissors
- 2 leaves fresh mint, snipped with scissors
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Drain, returning chickpeas to pot. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. Season with salt, and continue to cook until tender, 1 1/2 to 3 hours more.
- Meanwhile, place eggplant in a colander in the sink, or set over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet; set aside. Using paper towels, pat eggplant dry, and arrange on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
- In a serving bowl, whisk to combine oil and vinegar. Add olives, onion, garlic, chickpeas, eggplant, coriander, and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.