Minted Pea Soup
This light, fresh-tasting soup is also delicious served chilled.
Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1994
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 pound waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
- 6 ounces snow peas, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and toasted until golden brown, for croutons
- 1/4 cup pea shoots (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken stock; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add frozen peas and snow peas; simmer for 3 more minutes, or until just tender and still bright green. Stir in mint leaves.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with croutons and pea shoots if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.