Pound Cake with Maple Glaze
This delectable recipe comes from Aubrey Cook, a finalist in the "Martha" show "Best Bakers in America"series. Hints of almond and lemon extract balance the pound cake's buttery flavor, and a sweet maple glaze tops the cake with a marbled pattern.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2005
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
- 3 cups cake flour, (not self-rising), plus more for pan
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan; set aside.
- Prepare the cake; In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and granulated sugar until fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add 1/2 each of the flour and cream, mixing well to combine. Add remaining flour and cream, mixing until incorporated. Stir in vanilla, lemon, and almond extracts.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Transfer to unheated oven; bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour 45 minutes. Let cool on wire rack in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, place cake on wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze; In a small saucepan, melt butter and syrup together over medium heat. Whisk confectioners' sugar into hot mixture until smooth, and immediately pour over cooled cake.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.