Photography: Johnny Miller
Martha Stewart Living, April 2010
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 1/2 cup water, plus more if needed
- Gel-paste food coloring in colors such as violet, lemon yellow, soft pink, or leaf green (sugarcraft.com), for tinting
- Combine sugar, meringue powder, and water in the bowl of a mixer. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 4 minutes. (If icing is too thick, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.)
- Divide icing into batches, and mix in a different shade of food coloring to each to tint.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.