Taco Salad is a delicious and thoroughly satisfying meal. Ground turkey stands in for beef; nonfat yogurt
laced with lime juice, jalapeno, and cilantro makes a creamy dressing. Fresh mango slices add a splash of color.
Photography: Quentin Bacon
Martha Stewart Living
- 2 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into 16 wedges each
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 limes
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 pound iceberg lettuce, torn into 2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges (about 1 cup)
- 1 small mango, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add corn, and reduce heat to medium; simmer
until kernels are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer corn to a plate; let cool. Slice kernels off cobs; place in a small bowl, and set aside (you should have about 1 1/4 cups).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread tortilla wedges in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; bake
until crisp, turning once, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool, and set aside.
- Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, juice from 1 lime, cilantro, jalapeno, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, brown turkey over medium heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and juice from remaining lime.
- Transfer mixture to a large serving bowl. Add lettuce, beans, tomatoes, onion, mango, and reserved corn and tortillas. Toss to combine well. Drizzle with yogurt dressing; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.