Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Don't wait until the holidays to enjoy the honeyed flavor and velvety texture of these colorful root vegetables. Their buttery flesh and sweet taste make them enjoyable simply mashed.
Everyday Food, October 2007
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan.
Fill with enough water to come just
below basket; bring to a boil, then reduce
to a gentle simmer. Place sweet potatoes in steamer basket and cover; steam until tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain, and return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan,
bring half-and-half, butter, and brown sugar to a simmer, stirring to combine; remove from heat. Add to drained sweet potatoes, and mash
just until smooth; season with salt and
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.