Serve this tomato-based Italian salsa with Slow-Roasted Balsamic-Glazed Duck with Roasted Vegetables from chef April Bloomfield of The Spotted Pig and The John Dory Oyster Bar.
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2010
Yield Makes enough for 8 servings
- 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes, drained, skins and seeds discarded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 1 large fresh red chile, pierced all over with the tines of a fork
- Coarse salt
- Place tomatoes in a bowl and, using your hand, gently break them up; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, cinnamon, and chile; cook, stirring, until garlic is golden. Add tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and discard; serve salsa rossa with roasted vegetables.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.