In the south of France, bakers make rolls specifically for this street-food favorite. Any large, crusty roll with a soft interior is suitable.
Martha Stewart Living, August/September 1993
- 1/4 pound young string beans or haricots verts
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup black oil-cured or Nicoise olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 six-and-one-half ounce cans tuna, drained
- 1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed
- Watercress Vinaigrette (http://www.marthastewart.com/263276/watercress-vinaigrette)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large, crusty rolls
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- In a bowl, combine beans, onion, fennel, tomatoes, pepper, olives, capers, tuna, and watercress with 3/4 cup of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice open rolls, and scoop out some of the top halves. Brush remaining vinaigrette on insides of rolls. Pile salad mixture on bottom pieces, and top with egg slices. Cover with tops of rolls; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.