Molasses Drop Cookies
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1995/1996
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment to combine butter and brown sugar; mix on high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and molasses, and mix on medium speed until combined, about 20 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl once.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture. Mix on low speed to combine, 20 seconds.
- Using two spoons, drop 2 teaspoons of batter on a baking sheet; repeat, spacing them 3 inches apart. Bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle tops of cookies with granulated sugar, rotate sheets between oven shelves, and bake 8 minutes more. Rotate sheets again and bake until cookies are just brown around the edges, about 6 minutes more. Slide parchment with cookies onto a wire rack; let cool for 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.