Branch out beyond the usual pumpkin pie with this chocolate-laced winner.
Photography: Steve Baxter
Halloween 2009, 2009
Yield Makes one 10-inch tart
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Chocolate Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/281210/chocolate-crust)
- 2 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, creme fraiche, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves until smooth. Pass mixture through a fine sieve set over a clean bowl; discard solids. Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake until filling is set, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool at least 30 minutes.
- Set a heatproof bowl, or the top of a double boiler, over a pan of barely simmering water. Melt chocolate in bowl, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Dip a spoon in melted chocolate, then drizzle chocolate over tart, forming decorative stripes. Refrigerate until well set, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.