By mixing pureed cauliflower with just a few other ingredients, it's easy to whip up this delicious soup.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed, halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices (7 to 8 cups)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 5 to 6 cups <u>Homemade Vegetable Stock</u> , heated through
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup 1/4-inch cubes brioche bread
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower begins to lightly brown and is completely softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer cauliflower and shallot to the jar of a blender. Add enough of the heated stock to easily blend and process until smooth. Pass through a fine mesh sieve or chinois and transfer to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- Fill a small skillet 1/4 inch high with olive oil; heat over medium heat. Add bread cubes and cook, stirring frequently, until bread is toasted. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; season with salt and pepper. Add parsley leaves to skillet and cook until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Divide soup evenly between 4 bowls. Top with toasted bread cubes and fried parsley leaves; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.