For Halloween, decorate the tops of the cupcakes with black and orange jelly beans.
Everyday Food, October 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield Makes 12
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- <u>Vanilla Frosting</u>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper liners. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Beat in vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture and sour cream in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean and the top is springy to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before spreading with frosting.
Reduced-fat sour cream works as well as the regular version in giving these cupcakes a moist crumb and slightly tangy taste.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.