Coconut Pastry Cream
Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- Yield Makes about 1 1/4 cups
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup blended cream of coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch of salt
- Bring milk, cream of coconut, coconut, and vanilla bean and seeds to a simmer in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Let steep 1 hour.
- Put egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; mix on medium-high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Reheat milk mixture until hot. With mixer on medium-low speed, slowly pour in milk mixture. Transfer to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until boiling. Strain through a fine sieve. Let cool completely. Whisk before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.