Mini Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes
Recipe from Everyday Food, February 2005
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- <u>Vanilla Cream-Cheese Frosting</u>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line three 12-cup mini muffin trays with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, combine cocoa and 3 tablespoons hot water until a thick paste forms. Add butter, buttermilk, egg, and egg white; beat until combined. Whisk in flour mixture until smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared tins. Each cup should be about 2/3 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread icing over tops. Decorate as desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.