Coconut Swirl Brownies
Sweetened condensed milk adds an unmistakable richness to the coconut batter for these swirly treats. When marbleizing the coconut and brownie batters, make sure the butter knife reaches the bottom of the pan.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2004
- Yield Makes 9 large or 16 small
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Butter lining (not overhang).
- Stir together 1 tablespoon of sugar, the condensed milk, coconut, egg white, and 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla in a bowl.
- Put butter and both chocolates in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk remaining 3/4 cup sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs; whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add flour mixture; stir until well combined.
- Pour 1/3 of chocolate batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with an offset spatula. Drop dollops of coconut mixture (about 1 tablespoon each) on top of batter, spacing about 1 inch apart. Drizzle remaining batter on top, and gently spread to fill pan. Drop dollops of remaining coconut mixture on top.
- Gently swirl coconut mixture into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers. Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Brownies can be stored between layers of parchment in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.