- 1 loaf Italian or country bread with crust that is not too heavy
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 small roasted red bell pepper, cut into strips
- Oil Poached Tuna (http://www.marthastewart.com/256023/oil-poached-tuna)
- 12 basil leaves
- 12 oil-cured black olives, pitted and minced
- Halve bread horizontally. Pull out the soft interior, to within 1-inch of the crust; discard interior or reserve for another use. Rub the inside of bread all over with garlic, then drizzle with oil and vinegar.
- Cover the bottom half of the bread with onion and tomato slices. Top with anchovies and pepper strips. Evenly distribute tuna and basil.
- Spread the top half of bread with minced olives, and place it olive-side down over filled bottom half. Wrap in plastic wrap. Place on a large plate, and top with a second plate. Weight with several heavy cans. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, cut into 6 to 8 wedges or slices.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.