This yields enough for two of these recipes (or you can double it to make all four): Glazed Meatloaf, Skewered Greek Meatballs, Moroccan Hand Pies, and Vietnamese Kebabs. This versatile mixture can also be frozen on its own, so you can complete the recipes another time.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2011
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
Yield Makes about 3 1/2 pounds
- 4 slices white bread, torn into large pieces
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck (80 percent to 85 percent lean)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork (80 percent to 85 percent lean)
- Working in batches, pulse bread in a food processor until medium-coarse crumbs form (you should have 3 cups breadcrumbs). Transfer to a bowl. Stir in milk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree garlic and onion until smooth. Pulse in egg, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper to combine.
- Mix garlic mixture into breadcrumb mixture. Add beef and pork, and mix until just barely combined; do not overmix. Divide mixture into 2 portions, and continue with variations.
Meat mixture can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.