Martha Stewart Living, November 2005
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch-thick slices
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup whole milk, or heavy cream, or a combination
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- Freshly ground pepper
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with cold water. Add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Press the potatoes through a ricer into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until smooth. Pour in warm milk in a slow, steady stream, stirring constantly. Stir in butter, and season with salt and pepper
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.