In this pan-fried steak recipe, you'll have a restaurant-quality steak in under 10 minutes. Pair it with a simple steak sauce and serve it with a classic side like roasted potatoes.
From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
Mad Hungry, September 2010
- 2 strip steaks (about 1 inch thick)
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Bring the steaks to room temperature.
- Heat a 10- or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. Season the steaks liberally with salt and pepper. Seconds before adding a steak, drop 1/2 teaspoon of the butter into the pan and immediately top with the steak. Repeat with the remaining steak. Sear for 3 minutes without moving the steak (to form a crust). Turn and cook for 2 minutes for rare or 3 to 4 for medium rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and let them rest on a board or platter for a few minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.