Chickpea and Cucumber Salad with Fresh Mint
Martha Stewart Living, September 1996
- 2 cucumbers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 3/4 cups canned or cooked chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cups roughly chopped mint leaves
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cups currants
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel the cucumbers if they are waxed, and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and discard them. Cut cucumbers into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, and toss well to combine. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve salad at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.