Emeril's Cast-Iron Honey Cornbread
Here's a great way to cook a whole meal outdoors: Make cornbread in a cast-iron skillet right on the grill, alongside your meat! Now, don't skip the honey-butter topping -- slather it on the hot cornbread and watch 'em come running.
Everyday Food, July 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- Heat grill to low. Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill to heat. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Place oil and 1 tablespoon room-temperature butter in hot skillet; brush to coat bottom and side. Pour in batter. Grill, covered, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 12 minutes.
- Combine honey with 4 tablespoons room-temperature butter. Brush mixture on cornbread. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Oven Method: Bake in skillet at 400 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.