Rice with Peas and Cilantro
Steeped in aromatics and studded with peas, this grain-and-veggie combo is more substantial than a typical side.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, stems reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound fresh peas, shelled (1 1/2 cups)
- Tie together reserved cilantro stems with kitchen twine.
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook
onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender, about
8 minutes. Add chili powder, and season with salt and
pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add rice, and stir to coat. Add
cilantro-stem bundle and the water; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, and gently simmer, covered, until water
is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add peas (do not mix). Cover, and
let stand for 10 minutes. Discard cilantro-stem bundle.
Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.