Coconut Poaching Liquid
This recipe for coconut poaching liquid is courtesy of Sue Torres and should be used in her Coconut-Poached Shrimp Tostadas recipe.
Photography: not applicable
The Martha Stewart Show
Yield Makes enough to poach 18 shrimp
- 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 lemongrass, outer leaves removed and tender center chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 5 Serrano chilies, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bulb fennel trimmed and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt
- Combine all ingredients plus one full can water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat; strain; return to heat if poaching shrimp immediately. Store, covered, in a refrigerator for up to 2 days; poaching liquid can be used several times.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.